Friday, April 9, 2010

Disclosure, Privacy, and Then Some

I rarely use this blog to post more political rantings, but several articles I've read recently, and several conversations I've had recently have made me want to get some of these thoughts out in a medium that would allow for further, broader conversations.

Some questions to lay the foundation of my thoughts:

- What does it mean to have an STI?
- What does it mean to have a mental illness?
- What does it mean to consider an abortion?
- What does it mean to hide your sexuality (in general)?

And finally:

- What does it mean to conceal these things?

I don't remember when I "became" pro-choice, or, for better terms, became part of the Reproductive Justice movement. I wish I could, and that I had some crazy story of what a revelation it was. But the one political notion I've always had embedded in me, it seems, is the concept that people have a right to do what they want with their bodies. Especially if it's a chance of life or death, economic or emotional or physical or spiritual... You understand.

My huge critique of the Choice Movement comes from the perspective of someone who spends most of their time thinking about media, and about messages. Somewhere along the way, the more "public" message of Reproductive Rights became the right to choose ... privately. That it "wasn't those old white guys' BUSINESS" to make choices for women, and families.

The inherent danger of the "none of your business" dogma is that it, inevitably, ruins any chance for
a.) public funding ["Why should we fund your private choices?"]
b.) public discourse ["Why are you talking about such a private choice?"]
and c.) public education ["Well, this is a private matter, so you can learn about it on your own."]

I bring all this up because I think the way to make change as a movement, the Choice Movement needs to pause and consider why privacy is such desperate issue. Perhaps, Progressives in general need to consider this, really.

For instance, back to my original questions up top, what DOES it mean to conceal an STI-status? What does it mean to conceal your sexuality (and when I say sexuality, I mean: hide being a sexual being of any kind)? Conceal a mental illness?

By considering issues of sexuality, mental illness, gender, reproductive health, etc. private issues, we as progressive feminists are painting ourselves into a corner. My work as an artist and as someone who is not only participating with media but *creating it* is to distill taboos, and to create an environment that visually shows the diverse human experience. I am hugely, hugely dogmatic about this. I can talk about it for hours.

I don't expect everyone to dedicate their life's work to this concept... I do, however, expect people to share their stories, and for people to listen without judgement. You don't need to stand at a podium with several hundred people watching you; you don't need to broadcast it on national television; you don't need to write a rambly blog post about it on your website intended for illustration. The best way to start is to grab coffee with a friend and share, or tell someone who's hurting you can relate to them, or share your STI-status with someone who has just learned similar news.

So, disclosure? Disclose away. It's only a taboo topic if we avoid discussing it.

1 comment:

- Cindy - said...

Great thought-provoking post.

I'm with you on the pro-choice thing. For me it was always perfectly obvious that this has been about a woman's basic rights, not private rights.

I think that people's personal rights is a public responsibility, it's our responsibility to make sure no ones liberty is being taken away. I'm not homosexual and have as pale skin as they come, but I think that gay rights and racism have as much to do with me as woman's rights over their bodies. Even if I never have an abortion, which I probably never will, this still matters to me because I think people have the right to make that choice themselves based on their own situation and beliefs. It's a subtle difference, but you've pointed out that it's an important one.

Disclosure is tough. Everyone wants to be able to avoid being discriminated against and marginalized as much as possible. In some cases, we don't have a choice because it's something we can't hide. If someone can hide say a mental illness, STI, sexuality or gender identification, etc. to avoid punishment from those around us, I don't blame people for wanting to hide it. I give great props to those who have the courage to disclose at all.